Welcome to SchoolPay!
Please enter your email:We'll pre-populate this field in checkout.
Requests for refunds and credits must be made at least one week prior to the start of the class.
Make Your Own Cold Press Soaps
Date: Thursday, March 14 Time: 6:30-8:30PM
Location: Needham High School, Room 807 Fee: $85
This class will introduce you to the basics of making cold process soap. Cold process soaps are created by blending oils (or fat) with a lye mixture. In turn, the soap saponifies over the next twenty-four hours, turning the lye-oil mixture into a solid bar of soap! The class will cover the following:
• Brief history and basic chemistry of soap making
• Necessary materials, supplies and equipment
• Safety considerations when working with sodium hydroxide
• Taking accurate measurements & proper mixing temperatures
• Coloring your soap (micas, lab colors, herbs, spices & clays)
• Scenting your soap (fragrance oils verses essential oils)
• Preparing your molds and molding options
• Insulating, cutting, curing and storing your finished soap
You will make your own 1lb batch of soap to take home with you, and you will be given a mold and thorough instructions so you can make future batches on your own. This class uses only vegetable based ingredients. Students must be 18 years or older. Limited to 8.